kernel panic (maybe a stupid question)

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Wed Nov 30 15:08:44 UTC 2005

It seems that the non-SMP kernel could not find the root device. The non-SMP kernel expects to fine the partition with the LABEL '/' and use as the root. However, probably you do not have such a partition. The SMP kernel may have the root partition defined by its device name (such as /dev/hda1) and, therefore, finds it regardless of that partition's LABEL. The name (or LABEL) of root device if passed to the kernel by the bootloader (such as grub) during the boot process.
I think that there are different definitions for the root filesystem in the bootloader configuration file (such as grub.conf) for the SMP and non-SMP kernels. Check the bootloader configuration for non-SMP kernel and set root devioce to the same value as for SMP kernel. Also, you should check filesystem LABELs and set the label for root filesystem to '/'.

Alexey  Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com