Installing issue

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Oct 6 16:30:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-10-05 at 21:26 -0700, Ali Ostadsaraie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm new in Linux land and need your help regarding
> installing the new version of RedHat.
>
> I just downloaded ReHat 9 and made an iso on 3 CDs.
> When I tried to install it using CD1, the program
> asked if I wanted to install it from CD or HD.
> Obviously I chosed Cd, then it asked me to insert
> CD#1, which was already in cd drive.So it couldn't
> find it and I had to abort it. Does anybody knows what
> the problem is.

That is generally indicative that the CD isn't burned properly.  You
should run an md5 checksum against the CDs involved and verify that the
checksum matches that in the MD5SUM file in the repository you got the
images from.  If you don't have that handy, here they are:

400c7fb292c73b793fb722532abd09ad  shrike-i386-disc1.iso
6b8ba42f56b397d536826c78c9679c0a  shrike-i386-disc2.iso
af38ac4316ba20df2dec5f990913396d  shrike-i386-disc3.iso

RH Linux 9 is no longer supported by Red Hat and hasn't been for almost
18 months.  Support has been turned over to the fedora-legacy group.
What was supposed to be Red Hat Linux 10 became known as "Fedora Core
1".  The current free version of Red Hat is "Fedora Core 4", using a 2.6
kernel.  You really should think about changing to a Fedora version.

> I don't have such problem in installing older version
> of RedHat or other Linux. The reason of installing new
> version of Redhat is that I don't have sound in RedHat
> 8. So I thought by installing a clean and new version
> of RedHat the sound issue will be resolved.

-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -