Installation issues on redhat linux

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 3 17:46:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 12:24 -0700, Pol, Parikshit wrote:
> Hello Folks,
>         I am trying to install Eclipse 3.1 on my Linux desktop ( Red
> Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma) ). As a part of the dependencies I was
> trying to install gtk+-2.8.4. While trying to run ./configure it gives
> me the following error:
>
> configure: error: Package requirements (glib-2.0 >= 2.7.1    atk >=
> 1.0.1    pango >= 1.9.0    cairo >= 0.9.2) were not met.
>
> I just installed glib-2.8.2, pango-1.10.0 and atk-1.10.1. But somehow
> pkg-config is not getting it. It is showing the following packages
> when I do a list-all.
>
> parikpol at parikpol:~/downloads> pkg-config --list-all
> gmodule-export-2.0    GModule - Dynamic module loader for GLib
> freetype2             FreeType 2 - A free, high-quality, and portable
> font engine.
> gmodule-2.0           GModule - Dynamic module loader for GLib
> libxml-2.0            libXML - libXML library version2.
> glib-2.0              GLib - C Utility Library
> gobject-2.0           GObject - GLib Type, Object, Parameter and
> Signal Library
> gthread-2.0           GThread - Thread support for GLib
> gmodule-no-export-2.0 GModule - Dynamic module loader for GLib
>
> It is showing an older version of glib-2.0. I am new to linux, so can
> someone help me out here?

Most of what you want never was available for Red Hat 7.2 (RH7.2).

RH7.2 is no longer supported and hasn't been for a long, long time.  The
earliest Red Hat version that's still actively supported is 7.3
(supported by the Fedora Legacy Project or "FLP"), and I don't know how
much longer that will be done (support for RH7.3 was dropped by Red Hat
almost two years ago and we can't reasonably expect FLP to support
things indefinitely).

Upgrade to at least Red Hat 7.3 or Fedora Core 1 (if you wish to stay on
a 2.4 kernel).  Then we may be able to help you.  Sorry!

-              Careful!  Ugly strikes 9 out of 10 people!            -