grub-install

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Oct 4 17:28:43 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-04 at 17:05 +0300, Vlad wrote:
> Hello redhat-install-list,
>
> How can I install GRUB LOADER to /dev/cciss/c0d0. It's a first hard
> drive on the HP SmartArray5i+ embedded RAID (HP dl380G3 server).

> [root at dl380-ifs tmp]# grub-install /dev/cciss/c0d0
> expr: non-numeric argument
> /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

It appears that is no mapping between /dev/cciss/c0d0 and your BIOS.
Try doing an end run using grub's native device naming convention.  If
/dev/cciss/c0d0 is the first hard drive on your system (yes, I know it's
a RAID), then try one of these:

	# grub-install hd0
	# grub-install /dev/sda

If it's the second drive:

	# grub-install hd1
	# grub-install /dev/sdb

-     Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.      -