Video issues in Gui

vbs dvantine at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 15:14:20 UTC 2005

I am new to Linux but have been using SCO and HPUX for years. I am
attempting to setup an old Compaq ML370. The video is an embedded ATI
IIC video controller chip. My problem is when I try to use the
Gui(Xterm) interface the screen goes blank and you can do nothing. I
was able to get it installed by installing in command line but require
the Gui interface to use the Xterm environment. If you set the startup
from 3 back to 5 the same problem occurs that I had when trying to set
up. Running StartX is the same result.

I have looked on the Knowledge base and done some Googling but can
find nothing specific. I assume that Linux is having issues with the
drivers and hope someone has resolved this or know how to correct. I
am using RedHat AS 4 Update1.

Thanks
-Dave Vantine