no boot XP after FC4

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Thu Oct 20 21:07:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, October 20, 2005 12:53 pm, Grant Allan said:
> hi,
>
> just installed FC4 into empty partition on same drive as WindowsXP
> (disk1).  i'm aiming for dual-boot using NTLDR menu.
>
> i think i messed something up, cos now during reboot i get told that NTLDR
> can't be found.  strange thing is, when i boot from SystemRecoveryCD, and
> then choose the option to boot from "disk1", WindowsXP boots fine (and so
> obviously NTLDR is there after all).

No, the bootstrap isn't there but the partition is still active. It may
have been overwritten or corrupted by the FC4 install. I think the command
may still be fdisk /mbr which will re-write the NTLDR bootstrap.

> i'm confused - does this mean that my BIOS is not looking at my disk1
> during the boot sequence any more?  (hope not, cos my BIOS menu is in
> japanese, and i can't read it.)  or maybe my MBR has gotten minced?

BIOS has to see the drive else booting wouldn't work at all regardless of
how you tried. The OS depends on the BIOS to tell it where to find the
hardware, but doesn't control what's on the hardware.

HTH

Karl