Upgrading RHAS 2.1 to RHEL 3.0

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Oct 31 19:09:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 18:55 +0000, Tech Guy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know what is the best way of upgrading RHAS 2.1 to Red
> hat Enterprise Linux 3.0
>
> I have a server running RHAS 2.1 with these filesystems with quite
> enough free disk space.
> /
> /boot
> /dev/shm
> /tmp
> /usr
> /var
> /home
>
> My concern is I have Websphere installed on /home (I guess there
> should be an option to preserver /home while upgrading) but it writes
> certain libraries in /usr/lib and /usr/local/ibm and so if I dont
> preserve /usr then I guess I am going to loose all these libs. Same
> case with /etc. If I don't preserve /etc then I need to copy some of
> the old files to etc.
> I cannot re-install websphere. It would be painful as it is in
> clustered env.
>
> What is the best way to upgrade to 3.0 without loosing my files and
> libs. Is there any pre-caution that I have to take.
>
> I appreciate your suggestions.

So long as you do an update and DON'T let it wipe your partitions, you
should be OK.  However, that being said, make copies of your /usr/lib
and /usr/local/ibm directories so you can recover any files that may
get gronched.  Also be aware that the Websphere stuff may be linked
against specific library versions and may not work with newer libraries
(e.g. Websphere wants libXm.so.6 and the upgrade installs libXm.so.7).
You may get around that by doing a symlink, but I can't guarantee it.

The normal upgrade caveats remain...back up EVERYTHING you think you
might need before you even attempt the update.  You should also check
with IBM to make sure Websphere is compatible with AS3.

-           "I understand Windows 2000 has a Y2K problem."           -