Starting on bootup

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Sat Sep 3 05:46:31 UTC 2005

Rick Stevens wrote:

> jim ruxton wrote:
>
>> I'm using Fedora 3 and was wondering how I can have a computer boot up
>> on powerup without asking for username and password. Also where can I
>> put commands to start a program automatically once the computer boots
>> up. Thanks.
>

> Uh, that doesn't make a lot of sense.  The machine will boot without a
> username unless an fsck fails and requires manual intervention.  The
> only time a machine needs a username and password is to start up an
> interactive session.
>
> To run programs at boot, stick the commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

I used to have my machine setup to boot to my login automatically back
in RH8 days. The feature is still in FC4

Go to Desktop --> System Settings --> Login Screen --> General Tab -->
Timed Login and set the user you want to be logged in automatically.

I no longer use the feature because of my security concerns. Do not set
a BIOS password (BAD idea anyway) and do not set a Grub password.

Any programs you want to start automatically for that user put 'em where
Rick has told you.

HTH

Kind regards,

Graeme.