NFS - some success

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 16:31:12 UTC 2005

On 9/5/05, brad.mugleston at comcast.net <brad.mugleston at comcast.net> wrote:
> Well, with your help I finally got NFS working- mostly - my
> problem was a services issue - I looked at both machines and set
> them up the same and then it worked.
>
> I can now see the shared drived from my client machine but I
> can't write to them (even as root on my client machine).
>
> /etc/exports (Server)
> /music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
> /photos 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw)
>
> /etc/fstab (client)
> 192.168.1.55:/music /mnt/music nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
> c1911a1:/photos /mnt/photos nfs rw,hard,intr 0 0
>
> note - in one (music) I gave the IP the other (photos) I gave the
> name which is mapped in the hosts file just to make sure they
> both worked.
>
> When I try to write to either the /mnt/music or /mnt/photos
> directory using vim I get the following error on saving the file:
>
> "test.txt" E212: Can't open file for writing
>

> In both of the original directories I have a test file that I can
> open and read.  In order for this to be seemless the way I want
> it both of these directories need to be read/write available to
> everyone.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad Mugleston, KI0OT
>
> There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
> understand binary and those that don't.

Hi Brad,
   Cool that you got it working.

   One thing I've run into with NFS mounts is that rebooting with one
mounted can cause problems and long delays. Rick Stevens pointed me
toward an option called '_netdev' in man mount. (I think)  Using this
option tells the system that networking must be up before this is
mounted and that this must be unmounted before networking goes down.
Good option. Here's a few NFS oriented entries from my machine's fstab
file for you to peruse:

dragonfly:/Musiclib     /mnt/Musiclib           nfs
noauto,user,rw,_netdev,proto=udp        0 0
dragonfly:/home/mark/MusicLib /home/mark/RemoteMusicLib/ nfs
noauto,user,rw,_netdev  0 0
myth14:/video           /video                  nfs
auto,user,rw,_netdev,tcp,rsize=8192     0 0

Note the inconsistencies! 'proto=udp' vs. 'tcp'. Who knows?! ;-) I
should probably clean that up.

Cheers,
Mark