NFS - some success

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 18:27:16 UTC 2005

On 9/6/05, Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
Here's a few NFS oriented entries from my machine's fstab
> > file for you to peruse:
> >
> > dragonfly:/Musiclib     /mnt/Musiclib           nfs
> > noauto,user,rw,_netdev,proto=udp        0 0
> > dragonfly:/home/mark/MusicLib /home/mark/RemoteMusicLib/ nfs
> > noauto,user,rw,_netdev  0 0
> > myth14:/video           /video                  nfs
> > auto,user,rw,_netdev,tcp,rsize=8192     0 0
> >
> > Note the inconsistencies! 'proto=udp' vs. 'tcp'. Who knows?! ;-) I
> > should probably clean that up.
>
> 'Tis better to TCP than UDP on NFS, although UDP is the default and
> works reasonably well on uncongested networks.  It can cause issues
> on a busy network.

Thanks. I'm semi-aware of that but hadn't bothered. This is just a
connections people use for low-bandwidth music files, but there's no
reason at this point not to get it cleaned up. Now that we run both
live TV and videos across our network I might as well make everything
right.

Thanks!

- Mark