NFS - some success

brad.mugleston at comcast.net brad.mugleston at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 03:58:57 UTC 2005

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, gerrynix wrote:

> --- Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com> wrote:
>
> > brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:

> > > OK, I added no_root_squash to /etc/exports and  proto=tcp, user,
> > > _netdev,auto to fstab.
> > >
> > > nfslock is running
> > >
> > > chmod 777 to /mnt/music and /mnt/photos when these were not
> > > mounted
> > >
> > > Now I can read and WRITE as root but only read as a user.
> > >
> > > As a user "brad" on the client and as a user "brad" on the server
> > > both with the same password I thought I should be able to
> > > read/write.
> > >
> > > Here are my new files:
> > >
> > > /etc/exports on the server
> > > # /home 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)
> > > /music 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)
> > > /photos 192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0(rw,no_root_squash)
> > >

> > > /etc/fstab on the client
> > > LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults
> > > 1 1
> > > LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults
> > > 1 2
> > > none                    /dev/pts                devpts
> > > gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> > > none                    /proc                   proc    defaults
> > > 0 0
> > > none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults
> > > 0 0
> > > /dev/hda8               swap                    swap    defaults
> > > 0 0
> > > /dev/fd0        /mnt/floppy          auto
> > > noauto,owner,kudzu,rw 0 0
> > > /dev/hda5       /D2     vfat
> > > auto,defaults,uid=500,gid=500,umask=000 0 0
> > > /dev/hda1       /C      vfat
> > > auto,defaults,uid=500,gid=500,umask=000 0 0
> > > //SAM/C         /SAM/C  smbfs
> > > credentials=/root/.smbpasswd,uid=500,gid=500 0 0
> > > //SAM/D         /SAM/D  smbfs
> > > credentials=/root/.smbpasswd,uid=500,gid=500 0 0
> > > //SAM/E         /SAM/E  smbfs
> > > credentials=/root/.smbpasswd,uid=500,gid=500 0 0
> > > //SAM/F         /SAM/F  smbfs
> > > credentials=/root/.smbpasswd,uid=500,gid=500 0 0
> > > //SAM/music     /D/mp3  smbfs
> > > credentials=/root/.smbpasswd,uid=500,gid=500 0 0
> > > /dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom         udf,iso9660
> > > noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
> > > /dev/cdrom1     /mnt/cdrom1        udf,iso9660
> > > noauto,owner,kudzu,rw 0 0
> > > 192.168.1.55:/photos /mnt/photos   nfs
> > > proto=tcp,user,_netdev,auto,rw 0 0
> > > C1911A1:/music /mnt/music          nfs
> > > proto=tcp,user,_netdev,auto,rw 0 0
> > >
> > > Thank you guys are great - we are SOOO close.  Is there anything
> > > else you need to see?
> >
> > Did root mount the filesystems or were they mounted by users?
> >
> > If by users, does the server know who they are (are they in /etc/passwd
> > on the server?) and do the users have permissions on the server to write
> > to those directories?
>
> IMHO . . . It's getting way too complex for simple shares as these.
> Question: IS the account "brad" on both the server and client systems,
> [...]
OK, I agree it's getting very complicated but if it were simple
it wouldn't be fun it would be work....

To answer Rick's questions

Mounted at boot - don't know who does it then
Yes brad is a user on both systems and is in both passwd files
NO permissions were not set up right on the server - I did a
chmod 777 on the two directories and now brad and root can read
and write to the directories from the client.

For Nix,

You have me worried - let's say Sam is a user on both systems but
his uid doesn't work out to be the same.

HOW does one get both systems to use the same passwords, users
and id's automagically?

As the server is new I need all the users from the client setup
on the server.

While I work on that I've got 10+ Gig of mp3's and ogg files to
move from various machines to my server.

Thanks

Brad