.bash_profile not being read

gerrynix gerrynix at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 21:55:51 UTC 2005

--- jim ruxton <cinetron at passport.ca> wrote:

> Hi ,
> I'm trying to get a program to start after booting up. I put the command
> in .bash_profile since I want it to started by a user ( which is why I
> didn't put it in rc.local). Anyway it doesn't appear to be starting. It
> looks as if the .bash_profile script is not being read. Any ideas why?
> Thanks,
> JIm

Best guesses, since reading of .bash_profile *then* .profile
is compiled into the shell. . . AND not knowing if the program
requires root priviledges . . . to open system files, etc. . .

1. Check execute permissions on the program for the user (in whose
.bash_profile contains the program executable name). If "program"
is a shell script the user must have at least r-x

2. Either use absolute path to the program: i.e. /prog_dir/prog_name

3. Or include the program's directory in the PATH variable (in the
.bash_profile)

PATH=${PATH}:/program_dir
export PATH
program_name

4. If still no luck . . turn on debugging at the command prompt
and source the .bash_profile to see if there are any helpful
error messages.

$ set -x
$ .  ./.bash_profile
(the .bash_profile will be traced here . . .)
$ set +x

Other than that, can't think of anything else, off-hand :?
Let us know . . .
--
Nix