Services Howto

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sun Sep 18 04:18:10 UTC 2005

I've been using and administering (small servers/networks) Linux since
slackware was installed on the 486 platform using a bunch of floppies.
Most of the time I've had to experiment to get the right services to start
as each PC had annoying little CMOS differences. Why Can't BIOS
Programmers Write Help Info That HELPS!?!?! Okay, that was off-topic...

In any case, I'm wondering if anyone has seen or heard of a document that
explains which services should be avoided when and etc.

Oh, and thanks to those of you who have mentioned things in passing
through the past few years I've been on the list (Rick, Bob, Kalum, etc.).

--
Karl Pearson
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst