USB Palm, Was: Re: FC5 Step Backwards: WAS: Mostly off topic, Evolution question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 27 21:37:05 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 15:07 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Thu, April 27, 2006 1:05 pm, Rick Stevens said:
> >> the
> >> I've
> >> just

> >> works
> >> that

> >> syncs
> >> RH8/FC3/FC4,

> >> I did that first and had no luck.
> >
> > Really?  Gee, I just modified:
> >
> > 	KERNEL=="ttyUSB*",              GROUP="uucp", MODE="0660"

> > 	KERNEL=="ttyUSB*",              GROUP="uucp", MODE="0666"
> >
> > in "/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules".  Yes, it removes a tiny bit of
> > security, but it works for a lot of stuff without having to whonk
> > /etc/group or anything.  Besides, I'm a lazy cuss! :-D
>
> No more lazy than me. I've been in Unix for years and /etc/group is where
> I'm more comfortable. I didn't do it the way you said. I did it from a HOWTO
> on the 'net and they didn't have me in 50-udev.rules. I lost it somewhere. I
> try not to keep things around that don't work. Nothing as frustrating as
> finding an old piece of paper with an email or web page on it telling me how
> to do something wrong.

Heheheh!  That's one of the nice things about Linux...there's several
ways of attacking the same problem.  I chose to bugger the way the
devices are presented, you chose to give the user higher privileges.
The end result is that the user can access the ttyUSB* ports, although
my solution allows ANY user to access them--which may not be the right
solution for everyone.  My machines are under close control so I'm not
worried.

And I will have a go at the dual head stuff.  Hang in there.

-      We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.     -