web server

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Apr 8 04:52:16 UTC 2006

On Fri, April 7, 2006 10:27 pm, Harold Hallikainen said:

>>> DNS: Are you going to write your own or have them do it. Some registrars
>>> won't point to a host outside their hosting pool. I pay my ISP a couple
>>> bucks a month extra to secondary my DNS entries. They hit mine 3 times a
>>> day
>>> and as long as I update the 'serial' in my entries, I'm good to go.
>>> for DNS HOWTO, or NAMED HOWTO for help.

>>> Very true. If Apache is running, just point your browser at localhost
>>> and
>>> you're on your way.

>>> Wow, that's a book. Please be specific with requests, hopefully one per
>>> email, as you go along and hit the inevitable bumps. Some things you'll
>>> probably end up doing is VirtualHosts and security/login sites, etc.
>>> This
>>> isn't rocket science, but it can get hairy with the different versions
>>> of
>>> HTTPD.
>>>
>>> As long as you're at it, look into fetchmail, or just using your host as
>>> the
>>> email server, too. That cleans up the MX records at the DNS server. If
>>> you
>>> do, take a hard look at bogofilter or spamassassin, plus clamav for
>>> virus
>>> protection. You could look at them anyway if you are going to use
>>> fetchmail,
>>> which is pretty simple to use. Redundancy is good for spam and virus
>>> filtering.
>>>
>>> HTH more than confuses.
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> I'm pretty much doing what you're proposing (http://www.hallikainen.org).
>> I started slow and built stuff up over the years.
>>
>> I'm running a Linksys BEFSR81 router between the DSL and the LAN. I have
>> it forwarding ports for http, ssh, smtp, and ssl to the FC4 machine. I'm
>> using sendmail for sending and receiving email (relaying it through my
>> ISPs smtp server). I'm using Apache for web serving. I'm using dovecot as
>> the  IMAP server. I'm using SquirrelMail as my webmail client. These are
>> all included with FC4.
>>
>> Mostly I go through the config files making small modifications in the
>> hopes of getting stuff to do what I want. Before modifying a config, I cp
>> it to filename.HH.1 where 1 changes with each revision and HH is a flag so
>> I can easily find modified configs.
>>
>> One of the changes I made in Apache config is to put the document root at
>> /home/harold/public_html instead of /var/www or wherever it defaults. That
>> makes it easy for me to make changes without becoming root.
>>
>> For DNS, I'm using http://www.dns2go.com. I told Networks Solutions to use
>> the DNS2go servers for my dns. dns2go is designed to provide dns services
>> to people with dynamic IP addresses (both you and I have static). Even
>> though I have a static IP, I'm running the dns2go script so it knows my
>> server's IP address. This came in handy a couple years ago when I moved. I
>> pulled the server from home and put it in my office for a few weeks. No
>> one knew the difference. The IP address changed as appropriate. When I got
>> DSL in our new home, I moved the server there, plugged it in, and it was
>> on line. Real simple!
>>
>> So... I suggest just start messing with it. Decide what service you want
>> to get working first. Keep banging on it until it works. Ask questions
>> here.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Harold
>

> One more thing to try is webmin. I think you can use yum to install it. As
> root, type yum install webmin. Then go to https://localhost:10000 and
> login as root. Lots of config stuff available there, including Apache.

Harold, your help is great. But (isn't that always one? I'm the Butt here),
Webmin hammers the config files. Not in a bad way, but if you want the
commented files, forget it. All the comments are stripped out. Frankly, once
you get familiar with things, that's not bad either. Since I'm a
command-line geek, I use vi to modify httpd.conf, etc. AND, the worst job of
removing comments I've seen to date is in smb.conf (Samba). Maybe webmin
doesn't mess with httpd.conf? I do use webmin for a bunch of stuff, like
running my custom scripts for cleaning up my spamfilter rules. One nice
thing about webmin is the ssh front end. I've removed it from webmin and
made it so it doesn't run in the browser, too. Nice tool. Rambling here.
Time to go to bed.

Karl

> Harold
>
> --

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---