web server

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Apr 8 05:29:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, April 7, 2006 11:10 pm, Harold Hallikainen said:

>>> One more thing to try is webmin. I think you can use yum to install it.
>>> As
>>> root, type yum install webmin. Then go to https://localhost:10000 and
>>> login as root. Lots of config stuff available there, including Apache.
>>
>> Harold, your help is great. But (isn't that always one? I'm the Butt
>> here),
>> Webmin hammers the config files. Not in a bad way, but if you want the
>> commented files, forget it. All the comments are stripped out. Frankly,
>> once
>> you get familiar with things, that's not bad either. Since I'm a
>> command-line geek, I use vi to modify httpd.conf, etc. AND, the worst job
>> of
>> removing comments I've seen to date is in smb.conf (Samba). Maybe webmin
>> doesn't mess with httpd.conf? I do use webmin for a bunch of stuff, like
>> running my custom scripts for cleaning up my spamfilter rules. One nice
>> thing about webmin is the ssh front end. I've removed it from webmin and
>> made it so it doesn't run in the browser, too. Nice tool. Rambling here.
>> Time to go to bed.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Thanks for the comments! I haven't used webmin much. I've mostly just
> looked around. Hopefully I didn't delete all my config file comments. I
> have thus far edited config files using pico (which comes with pine).
>
> So... maybe it's best to stick to just editing the files with a text
> editor. Generally the comments in the config files are very good and
> enough to figure out what's going on.

Not necessarilly. Example: I'm a DBA but not for a SQL type database, so
those types (Oracle, MySQL, etc.) are out of my realm so far that I've not
done a bunch of learning yet. I use webmin to manage MySQL databases. Not
much, because the packages I use it for (Squirrelmail and WebCalendar) have
great setup docs. The Custom Commands part of the Others section of webmin
is great for a web-based method of editing whatever files you want to add an
Edit page for. I also use it for stopping and starting my firewall, editing
my SpamAssassin local.cf file and some other files...

Karl

Now REALLY to bed...

> Harold
>
> --
> FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---