Reversing email contents

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 10 20:53:47 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 13:56 -0400, Jeff Kinz wrote:
> Hi all, I've inherited the job of coordinating games/practices and
> fields for our local soccer league. (yeah!)
>
> I'm getting emails with 30 emails in reverse order within them, typical
> Outlook format.
>
> In order to understand the issues + needs of the teams sequestered within
> these emails it would be a lot easier if the discussion were in the
> order it happened in.
>
> Does anyone happen to have a tool, of any sort, that can reverse the
> oder of the emails within one email ?

Very difficult to say, Jeffers.  It rather depends on the format of the
messages inside the message.  If they have complete headers you might
be able to split them up either on the mime boundaries or by going
between "From " headers, and you might also be able to use formail on
them.

If they're simply cut-and-pastes of the text in a message, you may be
out of luck as you probably have no consistent, unambiguous splits
between the messages.  YOU may be able to do it, but humans are much
better pattern recognizers than computers are.

> I know this is a long shot but I'm ever hopeful.  They say you can find
> anything on the internet.. :-)

Take a good look at the message and what formail has to offer.

-   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
-                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -