more on bogged down server

Steve Rieger riegersteve at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 05:45:10 UTC 2006

> THANKS! I'll see what I can do about moving stuff to ftp. Most of the
> large files are on phpwiki. I suppose I could slowly go through the pages
> and change the download files (mostly scanned pdfs) from http:// to ftp://
> . Any problem with having the ftp download directory being the same as the
> http root directory? That way I would not have to move anything, just
> change the protocol prefix on the links.
>
> Here's another top. It looks like 98.6% of ram is being used, along with
> 100% of the processor. Not much swap space is being used. It kinda seems
> like Apache just tries to use as much RAM and CPU as is available. I guess
> this would be ok if my DSL could send the data out faster (I'm sure that's
> why these threads live so long). But, it doesn't seem like it should 7% or
> more of the CPU to a byte from the drive to the ethernet. Maybe ftp's just
> more efficient at this?

one more question before you go redoing the whole server
you have apache, mod_ssl, mod_perl mod_php (with all extensions)

get rid of mod_perl, it will cut down apache's size by a good 30%,
remove all the php extensions you can.
get a php caching package, (zend comes to mind) and last but not least,
if you do use ftp remember to put htaccess and DirectoryIndex deny all
over the place,

Steve Rieger
310-339-4355      (cell)
3394355 at gmail.com (pager)