Storage space partition

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Thu Apr 13 14:01:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 09:49:24AM -0400, Nair, Murlidharan T wrote:
> I have just completed the installation of Linux and configured the
> storage array as RAID5. The total capacity of the storage is about
> 600Gb. I am trying to decide on the factors that I should consider when
> partitioning it. I only have one server that is connect to my SAN.  The
> main fact that I am trying to debate is what if the partition that I am
> using to store my sql data runs out of space, will storing part of my
> data on another partition decrease the performance? In which case is it
> better to just leave it as one large partition?  I would appreciate you
> any comments or suggestions..
>
> Thanks ../Murli

Make one partition on the SAN, then make it a physical volume for
LVM.  Then divide it up into logical volumes.  Logical volumes are
easily resized.  It also has a snapshot capability which helps for
backups.

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
The best things in life aren't things.