Dual NIC Cards

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Apr 14 05:18:49 UTC 2006

On Thu, April 13, 2006 10:41 pm, Bret Stern said:

> I have dual network cards in a new box
> i'm putting together. Fedora 4

Me, too.

> Both cards are set to activate on boot, but
> only one starts on boot. The other will start
> manually.

Mine both start on boot.

> One card has a static ip.
> One card gets assigned an ip address (dhcp)

I assigned static IPs to both. That may be why one of yours doesn't start.
Is the one that starts the static or DHCP assigned nic?

> Can both cards have the same hostname?
> (go ahead have fun with that question)

They have to have the same hostname. I don't see an option in the gui setup
to give a different hostname for each card.

> I've heard you can only have a gateway address
> on one nic card. Is this correct?

Yes, it's correct.

HTH (maybe to much brevity? but at 11:15pm, my brain is running on 3 cells)

Karl

> Bret

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---