Storage space partition

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Fri Apr 14 17:17:11 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 11:46:24AM -0400, Nair, Murlidharan T wrote:

> <much snippage>
>
> Hi!!
>
> I am in the last stages on my installation. My server can see the SAN
> and everything seems ok. Here is a list of what I plan to do with some
> question. I would really appreciate if you could tell me if I am doing
> something incorrect or is there anything that I have missed.
>
> 1. Creating a disk partition for LVM as follows
>
>    fdisk  /dev/emcpowera
>
> Where options chosen are t = 8e which is the linux lvm partition and w
> to write it.
>

> 2. Create a volume group descriptor at the start of the disk
>
> 	pvcreate /dev/emcpowera

You are using the whole disk rather than the partition, but that's okay.

> 3. Creat a volume group
>
> 	vgcreate  bioVG  /dev/emcpowera
>
> 4. Activate the volume group
>
> 	vgchange -a y bioVG
>
> 5. Find the total PE size
>
> 	Vgdisplay bioVG | grep "Total PE"
>
> 6. I need to create three logical volumes of specific size. Do I use
> lvcreate for this?

Yes, precisely.

>      lvcreate -L 200G  -nmysqlLV  bioVG
>
>      lvcreate -L 200G  -nworkspaceLV  bioVG
>
>      lvcreate -L 20G  -nwebservicelLV  bioVG
>
> The rest is unallocated and is free to use at later stages.
>

> 7. When and how do we create a file system (analogous to using mkfs)?

When?  As soon as you have run lvcreate.
How?  The same way as with partitions.
Your logical volumes have names, /dev/bioVG/mysqlLV,
/dev/bioVG/workspaceLV, /dev/bioVG/webservicelLV.  See the format:
/dev/<vgname>/<lvname> ?  Now, just use mke2fs this way:

  mke2fs -j /dev/bioVG/mysqlLV

and so on, assuming you want ext3 filesystems.

> 8. Mount the volumes I have created as follows
>
>      mount /dev/bioVG/mysqlLV sqlhome
>      mount /dev/bioVG/workspaceLV workspace
>      mount /dev/bioVG/webserviceLV webservice

Well, you will probably want to make fstab entries like

/dev/bioVG/mysqlLV      /sqlhome       ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/bioVG/orkspaceLV   /workspace     ext3    defaults        1 2
/dev/bioVG/webserviceLV /webservice    ext3    defaults        1 2

The mount points must be fully pathed (from /).

Then you can (the first time)

  mount /sqlhome
  mount /workspace
  mount /webservice