more on bogged down server

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Fri Apr 14 19:09:26 UTC 2006

Thanks! I'm running Gallery version = 2.1 core 1.1.0 . Under site
administration - performance, it says " Performance Tuning
Acceleration

Improve your Gallery performance by storing entire web pages in the
database. This can considerably reduce the amount of webserver and
database resources required to display a web page. The tradeoff is that
the web page you see may be a little bit out of date, however you can
always get the most recent version of the page by forcing a refresh in
your browser (typically by holding down the shift key and clicking the
reload button).

Partial Acceleration

    Partial acceleration gives you roughly 10-25% performance increase,
but some forms of dynamic data (like view counts) will not get updated
right away. All content that appears in blocks (like the random image
block, any sidebar blocks, etc) will always be updated.
Full Acceleration

    Full acceleration gives roughly a 90% performance increase, but no
dynamic data (random image block, other sidebar blocks, number of
items in your shopping cart, view counts, etc) will get updated until
the saved page expires.

You can additionally specify when saved pages expire. Setting a longer
expiration time will reduce the load on your server, but will increase the
interval before users see changes. Lower expiration times mean that users
will see more current data, but they will place a higher load on your
server.

I've set everyone to "full acceleration" and have pages expire in 15
minutes. This and adding crawl-delay and disallowing crawls of the gallery
and my wiki upload area (large pdfs) SEEMS to have solved the problem.
Just in case, though, I'm still running a cron job once an hour to restart
httpd if the 15 minute load is over 12.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com