manual modem dial, then ppp?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Apr 23 02:24:54 UTC 2006

I'm still meesing with ppp and my cellphone. Various attempts at using
wvdial and kppp have not worked. wvdial returns error 8 (and we've
discussed it on this list quite a bit in the past, and I did not get it to
work). Kppp seems to get hung up in waiting for responses from the modem.
It sits there forever saying "waiting for ok."

GKTerm seems to work fine. I can dial into my machine. It asks for
username and password. I enter them and am given a shell prompt. I can use
pine for email, though GKTerm seems to throw an extra newline into the
screen now and then, giving a pretty messy screen.

So... since manual dialing (using atdt through my keyboard), logging in,
etc. seems to work, I wonder if there's a way I can do that and then set
up a ppp link. Is there something at the shell prompt I can type to say
"start sending me ppp" (kinda like slirp in the old days)? Similarly, is
there something I do on my laptop (running FC4) to say "start running ppp
now?"

This is all running through a USB to EIA232 adaptor to my cellphone at
14.4kbps (kinda slow, but it works!). Also, by the way, I can use my
wife's Windoze machine with the USB to cellphone connection, and it seems
to work fine.

Ideas?

THANKS!

Harold