manual modem dial, then ppp?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 24 18:31:54 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 19:24 -0700, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
> I'm still meesing with ppp and my cellphone. Various attempts at using
> wvdial and kppp have not worked. wvdial returns error 8 (and we've
> discussed it on this list quite a bit in the past, and I did not get it to
> work). Kppp seems to get hung up in waiting for responses from the modem.
> It sits there forever saying "waiting for ok."

Ok, that seems like an easy one.  Bring up kppp, select your modem and
click on "Edit...".  In the next box, click on the "Modem" tab and then
click on the "Modem Commands..." button.  In the next screen, enter "V1"
in the "Initialization string 2" box and click "Save".  That forces the
modem to use verbose response codes as opposed to numeric ones.

> GKTerm seems to work fine. I can dial into my machine. It asks for
> username and password. I enter them and am given a shell prompt. I can use
> pine for email, though GKTerm seems to throw an extra newline into the
> screen now and then, giving a pretty messy screen.

That's usually caused by the EOL handling or wrapping.  Try turning off
line wrap in your GKTerm preferences.

> So... since manual dialing (using atdt through my keyboard), logging in,
> etc. seems to work, I wonder if there's a way I can do that and then set
> up a ppp link. Is there something at the shell prompt I can type to say
> "start sending me ppp" (kinda like slirp in the old days)? Similarly, is
> there something I do on my laptop (running FC4) to say "start running ppp
> now?"

You can try running either pppd or ipppd.  I've never done that but it
may work for you.

-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -