Fedora Core 5 Dual Head

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Apr 24 23:08:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 16:47 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Mon, April 24, 2006 12:36 pm, Rick Stevens said:
> > On Sun, 2006-04-23 at 12:59 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> >> When I turn on Dual Head for X.org, it looks like the second monitor has a
> >> bad horizontal sync setting. With FC4, it worked out of the box, first
> >> try.
> >> I've edited xorg.conf to no avail as system-config-display messes things
> >> up
> >> rather than making it easier. On FC4, I could probe the monitor and it
> >> would
> >> come back correctly. No such option here, or am I running the wrong app?
> >
> > Which video card are you using, Karl?  If it's nVidia, did you install
> > a new binary driver and if so, try using their config tool.
>
> ATI. It worked flawlessly on FC4. . .

Hmmmm.  Well, FC5 uses a much later kernel.  Wonder if there's an issue
with ATI's driver and it.

> >> One very annoying little side affect is that the bottom panel is now in
> >> the
> >> middle of the screen and one I added to the side is about 1/3rd of the way
> >> off the right edge. I can't get those to behave either...
> >
> > That's definitely either a vsync issue or a resolution issue.
>
> Solved that. Middle mouse button, drag to edge of screen, let go of mouse
> button. Duh.

Ugnh!  I misunderstood you...I thought it was at the margin of the
screen, but the screen was mucked up.

> > To be honest, I'm just now getting a machine up to run FC5 (haven't had
> > the time until now), so I'll be in a better position to answer FC5
> > issues later.

And my laptop is being a right bitch about doing FC5.

- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -