Fedora Core 5 Dual Head

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 26 16:59:40 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-04-25 at 19:27 -0600, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Tue, April 25, 2006 4:04 pm, Rick Stevens said:

[snip]

> > Got the laptop up last night.  I couldn't get an upgrade to work (lots
> > of weird crashes).  The machine wasn't doing anything anyway, so I nuked
> > it and did a fresh install which went flawlessly.
> >

> Excellent. As for my attempt at using the nVidia 9250... That's a Radeon
> 9250 and X wouldn't come up at all, so I'm back to the nv driver for an
> older card that at least does one monitor nicely. So far, dual head isn't an
> option on FC5.

I'm hoping to get FC5 up on my Opteron at home this weekend.  It's got
an  ATI RV350 AQ [Radeon 9600] card in it.  It supports dual head so
I'll have a go at that.

My Athlon at home is a Shuttle X machine.  I've got an ATI card in the
AGP slot which is what I'm running on.  The mobo has a dual-head nVidia
built in (not sure which model it is).  I'll have a go at FC5 on that
machine, too.  I may be able to advise you then on both ATI and nVidia
dual-headedness stuff at that point.

And I thought I was going to have a nice, quiet weekend.

Oh, btw, FC5 on the Athlon 64 laptop is pretty smooth...once you get
cpuspeed to stop racheting down the processor when it's on the AC
adapter.  Quick hack to /etc/cpuspeed.conf and a cpuspeed restart and
all is good:

[root at golem2 ~]# cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 47
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
stepping        : 2
cpu MHz         : 2000.000
cache size      : 512 KB
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt
lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm
bogomips        : 3996.65
TLB size        : 1024 4K pages
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management: ts fid vid ttp tm st

4K bogomips on an $800 64-bit laptop.  Ahhhhh!

-           If it's stupid and it works...it ain't stupid!           -