Log Analyzer for sendmail into mySQL

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Aug 14 17:53:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 16:29 +0700, Budi Febrianto wrote:
> Hello Redhat,
>
>       Any recommendations for log analyzer that can parse sendmail
>       maillog file into mysql database?
>       So from mysql I can create any report that i want, usually
>       rejected emails.

One of the more flexible log analyzers is sawmill
(http://www.sawmill.net/formats/UNIX_Sendmail.html).  You might want to
check it out.

As far as stuffing the logs into mysql, write a perl or php script that
accepts lines from a named pipe (FIFO) and stuffs it into your database,
then modify /etc/syslog.conf to send the data to the FIFO instead of
/var/log/mail.log:

	mail.*           |/path/to/your/FIFO

-      Cuteness can be overcome through sufficient bastardry         -
-                                         --Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes   -