how to install emacs (so many dependencies!)

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Dec 6 16:29:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, December 6, 2006 7:35 am, Thomas B. Walter wrote:

> I did a bare bones install of RHEL4v4 and now have a request for emacs on
> the machine. Each rpm I attempt to install has dependencies and they have
> dependencies, etc......... a nightmare.
>
> Is there a way to install emacs from the RHEL install or SRPMS that is
> more straightforward? Or another way?

I would recommend using yum because it figures out all the dependencies for you.

yum install emacs*

should do the trick, if it's setup. If not, install yum off the CDs and give
it a try.

Karl

> Thanks.
>
> Thomas Walter
> Geography & Computer Science Departments
> Hunter College of the City University of New York
> 695 Park Avenue
> New York, NY 10021
>
> (212)772-5457 Office
> (212)772-5268 Fax
> twalter at hunter.cuny.edu
> http://geography.hunter.cuny.edu/~tbw

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---