not able to install any RedHat Linux 4 in my new P4 maschine

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Dec 11 21:22:19 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 08:10 +0530, uday basu wrote:
> I have bought a new PC with the following configuration
> 1. P 4 D 3 GHz CPU 925
> 2. P 4 intel original motherboard D946GZISSL
> 3. 160 GB SATA seagate HDD
> 4. 512 DDR2 RAM zion (533)
> 5. 17" Monitor
> 6. an extra PCI Ethernet card ( removing the card also the problem
> occurs )
>
> now when I tried to install RedHat Linux 4 by booting through the
> linux cd it booted but the maschine gets hanged by showing the message
> PCI: probing PCI hardware ( BUS 00 ).
>
> what to do so that i can install RedHat Linux 4 in my PC?

You can bypass the probe by specifying "noprobe" at the install prompt:

	boot: linux noprobe

Note, however, that the machine will not be able to automatically
configure things such as X-Windows since you're telling it specifically
to not probe the bus.  You can also try things such as "noapic" and
other boot options to get past the problem.

You should look carefully at the release notes and installation guide.

-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -