Suggested network printer/scanner?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Dec 17 16:00:48 UTC 2006

> On 12/16/06, karlp at ourldsfamily.com <karlp at ourldsfamily.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, December 16, 2006 12:52 pm, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> > I'm considering getting a new printer/scanner. I'd generally use it
>> with
>> > FC5, but it could also be used by Windoze machines on the network.
>> It'd
>> be
>> > great if it had wireless network connectivity so I don't have to drag
>> > another network cable around the house. Any suggestions of stuff that
>> > works?
>>
>> I just got an HP 2575 all-in-one and love it. I can scan from Firefox
>> and
>> on
>> Windows machines, you can stand at the printer and press a scan button
>> and
>> select which PC you want the scan to go to.
>>
>> It's also a nice copier. Since it's a DJ-series, it's color, too. As a
>> flat-bed scanner, it's fairly quick and the resolution is as good as any
>> in
>> the range.
>>
>> It's got built-in jetdirect interface, but for an additional $80 U.S.
>> you
>> could get a wireless access point and hook it up that way. I've done it
>> that
>> way.
>>
>> My 2 bits.
>>
>> Karl
>

> Karl -
>
> Funny I was just looking at the printer in Staples, great minds and all of
> that. How exactly do
> you get the printer to use a wireless network ? do you replace the
> existing
> nic in the printer ?
> or use an usb to wireless ethernet adapter ? (if so how do you set it up
> ?)
>
> thanks for any info. With it I may be able to spend xmas with the family
> and
> not my printer ! :-))

I plan on making it wireless with a Linksys WAP54G operating in client
mode, then plugging a crossover Ethernet cable between the printer and the
WAP. I've done that before to hand a distant desktop computer on the
network. I plan on getting one of these today and giving it a try!

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com - Advertising
opportunities available!