Cannot install FC 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Feb 3 18:06:05 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 11:03 +0100, Mikael Rasmussen wrote:
> Still the same:
> 'Please append a correct "root"=boot option'

The problem is that the installer kernel can't find the root filesystem
on the CD/DVD.  This is normally caused by a DMA issue or a conflict
between IDE devices.

Try the boot again, but try "ide=nodma" instead of just "nodma".

> Mikael
>

> Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 22:55 +0100, Mikael Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to install FC4 on a windows machine, but every time I try, i
> > > get the following errors:
> > >
> > > 'Cannot open device <NULL>...........'
> > > 'Please append a correct "root"=boot option'
> > > '...................'
> > > Kernel panic - Not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown
> > > block(8,3)
> > >
> > > The system is as follows:
> > >
> > > Motherboard: ASRock K8Upgrade-VM800
> > > Processor: AMD Sempron 3000+
> > > HDD (200GB): Maxtor 6L200PO - Drive C: 19,52 GB (FAT32) - Drive D: 68,35
> > > GB (NTFS) - Rest: 102,01 GB Unformatted.
> > >

> > > Can anyone help on this. My girlfriend wants a computer with the same
> > > great opportunities as my own
> > >

> > Try entering "linux nodma nofb" to the "boot:" prompt:
> >
> > 	boot: linux nodma nofb

> > - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
> > - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
> > -   Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the   -
> > -                     reader...who doesn't get it.                   -

-   UNIX is actually quite user friendly.  The problem is that it's  -
-              just very picky of who its friends are!               -