ClamAV and freshclam

Graeme Nichols gnichols at tpg.com.au
Tue Feb 7 02:13:29 UTC 2006

karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
> On Sun, February 5, 2006 10:33 pm, Graeme Nichols said:
>
>>Hello Folks,
>>
>>I have just installed clamav-0.88-1.fc4 on my laptop using 'yum install
>>clamav' and there is no freshclam command. Is this a 'feature' of this
>>version or have I made a mistake? I tried 'yum install freshclam' but it
>>reported 'No action needed' Or is the command to update the sig file
>>something different in this version? 'rpm -q clamav' states it contains a
>>tool for automatic updating via Internet. On my desktop there is a service
>>for automatically updating the sig file but not on my laptop after
>>installing
>>clamav.
>

> ClamAV is usually used as a gateway mail scanner. Freshclam is installed by
> default. Check /usr/local/bin/ for it. The clamav website has good docs on
> it, too. I have it on my email server and freshclam runs from rc.local on
> bootup with the following command:
>
> /usr/local/bin/freshclam -d --checks=50
> --daemon-notify="/usr/local/etc/clamd.conf"
> --on-update-execute="/home/karlp/bin/freshclam.sh update"
> --on-error-execute="/home/karlp/bin/freshclam.sh failed"
> --on-outdated-execute="/home/karlp/bin/freshclam.sh outdated" -u root
>
> That's all on one line, btw.
>
> HTH.
>
> Karl

Hello again Karl,

I downloaded the fc4 package from the clamav web site and installed it
after removing the package that yum installed. It installed just fine
and now I have freshclam and the freshclam service started.

Thank you very much for your help.

Kind regards,

Graeme.

I didn't believe in reincarnation in any of my other lives.  I don't see why
I should have to believe in it in this one.
		-- Strange de Jim