httpd and dovecot service start fails

mylar micros50 at computer.net
Tue Feb 7 08:26:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 12:54, Rick Stevens wrote:

> <yawn!>  Hi, guys.
>
> Hmmm...looking at the thread, you've tried a lot of things.  First off,
> check /etc/sysconfig/httpd to see if there are any oddities in the
> configuration.
>
> Also note that /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd does NOT use apachectl to start.

Is the fact that it doesn't use "apachectl" to start true of all the
apache configs that come bundled with Fedora ?

Reason being is that I never use the apache that comes with the distro.
I generally like to compile, build and install and configure Apache from
scratch. I call it "scratchy Apache".  When I create  the startup scrips
I  set them to use apachectl. Is that okay or does the distro do it a
better  way ??

mylar