about nis

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 23 18:33:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 17:46 -0500, roldan wrote:
> i have in my server the domain nisnet created when i do the make under the
> directory /etc/yp
> the nisdomainname returns nisnet as result
> and i put the ypserv running in debug mode and there is a line that says:
> ypserv.conf:dns:0
> what this means?
>
> in the other hand i tried to bind from a client machine but i still having
> the error : "no binds to domain"
>
> and so i don't understand the command ypinit -m that i should run in the
> master server, do i have to add all the networks clients machines in the
> /etc/hosts file, and add all the networks users too before run the command?

You really should buy a book on NIS if you're going to be playing with
this.  I recommend the O'Reilly book "Managing NFS and NIS".

First, your master server AND all slaves and clients must belong to the
same NIS domain.  This is set by the "domainname" command and will NOT
survive a reboot unless you set "NISDOMAIN" in
the /etc/sysconfig/network file:

	NISDOMAIN=mynisdomain

AND either "ypserv" or "ypbind" is run at boot time.

Second, the NIS master must have "ypinit -m" run on it at least once to
set up the databases.

Third, the NIS master should have "ypserv" running on it ("service
ypserv start").  The master should also automatically start ypserv at
boot time ("chkconfig ypserv on" will set that up).

Fourth, all of the machines involved must be able to resolve the various
IP addresses involved--either via DNS or entries in the /etc/hosts file.

Fifth, your NIS clients should have /etc/yp.conf configured.  At a
minimum, they should have:

	ypserver name-or-IP-address-of-the-NIS-server

See the manpage for ypbind ("man ypbind") for details.

Your NIS clients should then be able to bind to the server using
"ypbind".  Once this is confirmed, enable ypbind to start at boot time
("chkconfig ypbind on").

-    Reality: A crutch for those who can't handle science fiction    -