Installing java 1.4.2 JDK

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Feb 27 19:00:21 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 09:51 +0000, John Dunn wrote:
> I need to install java 1.4.2 JDK on Redhat linux 9
>
> At the SUN site I can find Java(TM) 2 SDK, Standard Edition 1.4.2
>
> Is this the same thing?

I'm assuming you need to install Java for use in your web browser,
right?  In that case, you really only need the JRE (Java runtime
environment).

JRE is usually available separately.  JRE is also included with JDK
(Java Development Kit).  JDK is also available separately or as part of
the SDK (System Development Kit).

If you go to http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html, you'll see
the JRE and SDK available.  Again, for browser use, you only need the
JRE package.

- Treat each day as if it's your last...a lot of crying and whining  -
-      usually gets you what you want!              -- Sam Sledge    -