Messed up PCI Again

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sun Jan 1 01:09:59 UTC 2006

> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 11:35:44AM -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:
>> I previously posted something about my HP laptop running FC4 suddenly
>> giving PCI conflict messages during boot, and those keeping my WLAN from
>> working. I fixed it by doing a re-install of FC4.
>>
>> Well, I did it again! Last night I let yum do a kernel update. I think
>> that's what did it, as now I'm getting those same messages. The wired
>> LAN
>> still works, so I have net access on the machine.
>>
>> How do I go back to a previous version of the kernel? RH8 used to ask me
>> during boot which version I wanted to boot. My installation of FC4
>> doesn't
>> do this.
>
> I think, in FC4 there is a new option in grub.conf called
> "hiddenmenu".  The way that works, when the GRUB screen comes up, it
> says something about booting kernel-<some_version> in N seconds.  The
> timeout is five seconds.  If you hit any key during that countdown,
> you will get the normal GRUB menu with the choice of however many
> kernels you have.
>
>> Is there some file I can edit to tell it to use a previous
>> version (if it's still there) or a way to re-install the previous
>> version?
>
> To go back to the usual GRUB menu, change this in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf:
>
>   timeout=5
>   splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>   hiddenmenu

>   timeout=10
>   splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
>   # hiddenmenu
>
> If you want the older kernel by default, change the "default"
> argument.  The kernel stanzas in grub.conf are numbered from 0, so you
> probably want to change
>
>   default=0

>   default=1
>

>> THANKS!
>>
>> Harold
>
> Happy New Year,
> --
> Bob McClure, Jr.             Bobcat Open Systems, Inc.

EXCELLENT! Actually, after posting my question, I DID notice that a menu
was available during boot (I just never watched it that closely, but there
is a hit any key to bring up the boot menu). I tried that and was able to
digging through my Fedora Core Bible about configuring boot when your
email showed up with how to change the default. Works great!

THANKS!

Happy new year!

Harold

--