Cannot install Fedora Core 4

Russell Golden dragonite.wylie at verizon.net
Tue Jan 10 00:48:24 UTC 2006

nope.
it goes into panic after displaying "VFS: please append a correct
'root=' boot option" or something to that effect. also says it can't
find a device, then it gives (8,3), which i'm guessing is a location.
the message saying it can't find the device comes before the VFS
message. what is going on here?