Defragging Linux

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 11 18:47:32 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 10:21:41AM -0800, Albus Dumbledore wrote:
>  	I am just starting out with Linux (Red Hat Workstation 3) and I have a
> lot of basic questions, such as "Do I need to defragment Linux like I do
> Windows and if so, how".

No.  The way the linux filesystem works, it always stays well
defragmented.  If you watch the results of fsck (filesystem check), at
the end it will report the amount of fragmentation for your
information.  It's typically under 2%.

> Is this the proper forum for these questions

Yes.

> or is there a more appropriate one somewhere?

There are others, but they are not necessarily better or worse than
this list.  You could Google for "linux newbies" and find some of
them.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace begins not at a Mideast table, but at a Mideast stable