how to know if firewall on?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jan 12 17:42:09 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 07:39 -0800, mike wrote:
> i have some sort of communication between a windows client and my
> linux box that is failing, and i want to check if this is a firewall
> issue.  how do i do this on my linux box?

You can see if the firewall on Linux is running by using the command:

	iptables -L -n

as the root user.  If you see any rules displayed, then the firewall is
running.  To turn it off temporarily, use the command

	service iptables stop

as the root user.  To turn it on again:

	service iptables start

as the root user.
-     Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.     -