no boot XP after FC4 (REPHRASING OF THE QUESTION)] (More)

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jan 17 18:40:45 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 23:15 -0500, John Wirt wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Is this a "bad" configuration of Linux? It's the way Dell did it. Should
> I change this? 2.5gb seems like a lot for a boot partition. What's in it?

It certainly isn't how I'd set it up.  I'm pretty sure the boot
partition is the 102MB "MBR Entry 2" partition.

> I asked Dell what the FAT32 partition is and they said,
>
>   "The FAT-32 shows where the extended logical drive is at.  All the drives after are logical drives."
>

> Seems crazy to me.  I've created many an extended partition and none
> have required a corresponding FA-32 partition.

They're nuts.  The FAT-32 is where Windows is.  The "MBR Entry 3" or
"Extended" partition is where the other stuff is.  It contains the two
"Unnamed" partitions, one of which is "/" and the other is the swap
partition.

I'll comment each partition below with what I think it is.

> Thank you for all your assistance. Very helpful.
>
> John Wirt
>

> >>The configuration of the second drive on my machine, where I am trying
> >>to reinstall Grub is:

Dell-specific utilities (disk recovery, etc.).  Linux /dev/sdb1, grub
(hd1,0)

Windows.  Linux /dev/sdb2, grub (hd1,1)

/boot for Linux.  Linux /dev/sdb3, grub (hd1,2)

Extended partition containing virtual drives.  Linux /dev/sdb4, grub
(hd1,3)

"/" for Linux.  Linux /dev/sdb5, grub (hd1,4)

Swap space.  Linux /dev/sdb6, grub (hd1,5)

Note that in Linux, the extended partition is virtually ALWAYS partition
4, and any partition over 4 (5-16) will be in that extended partition.

> >> From this list, I assume that the Linux /boot directory is  MBR entry 3
> >>and the /root partition is the first "UnNamed" partition.
> >>

> >Sorta.  Assuming you set up a "/boot" of about 102MB, then
> >yes, /dev/sdb3 (or grub "(hd1,2)") is /boot.  It appears you put
> >everything else in a single 30G partition.  In that case, then the
> >root of the filesystem is /dev/sda5 (grub "(hd1,4)") and it's called
> >"/".

-         Okay, who put a "stop payment" on my reality check?        -