fax modem vs modem

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Jan 27 22:44:33 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 23:45 +0200, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
> Greetings Rick,
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> < snip >
>

> > I prefer using the separate boxes for several reasons:
> >
> > 	1. I already had them (and I'm cheap!)
> >
> > 	2. Often the "all-in-one" scanners aren't as good (lower
> > 	resolution) as a real scanner.
>
> Well from my own experience ( my Lexmark X1155 ) i would say
> that if you don't want to scan something with pretty tiny details
> then the "all in one" thing will do a terriffic job . All it comes down
> to what you want to scan .

For the most part, I have to agree.  On occasion, however, I want to
scan a photo or something and as I said, I'm cheap!  I already have a
fine-detail scanner, a printer and a modem.

Oh, and my printer is a high-speed color laser.  When I'm printing out
source code, I don't want to wait around for an ink jet.  So, for me,
a separate printer, modem, and scanner is perfect.

> > 	2. The "all-in-one" boxes often require special drivers that
> > 	the makers simply won't provide to us open-source guys, so you
> > 	have to roll your own or wait for linux-printing.org to come up
> > 	with one.
>
> I second that . Meanwhille i always enjoy dual booting if neccessary .

Ah, now that's a terrible thing to have to do!  :-)
-          "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."           -