driver problem while installing RH enterprise 3 & 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jul 3 18:41:08 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 06:23 -0700, Omabele Onome wrote:
> Dear friends,
> I have sent thisproblem to you for help but till now I get no response
> or even reply. I can not even see it among the achives. Or am I
> getting the email address wrong. I do not think so. Anyway, I'm
> sending it again. Please,please help!!!
>
> Machine type / model:-  Compaq Professional Workstation SP 750
> It’s an empty system in that it has no OS on it so it is a fresh
> installation. Device on the PC :-
> Adaptec AIC 7899 SCSI BIOS v2.55
>
> Related product and version information:-
> 1)     Red Hat Enterprise Linux (ES) Version 4
> 2)     Red Hat Enterprise Linux (ES) Version 3
> Severity of problem:-  2
>
> Problem
> When I get to the Partition page and select Automatic Partition, an
> error message comes up stating
> “No drivers found: An error has occurred – no valid devices were found
> on which to create new files. Please check hardware for the cause of
> this problem.”
>
>  But it started off loading "loading aic 7xxxx drivers........" So I
> really don't understand why this problem.

Are you sure the drives are visible to the controller?  I mean, does
the Adaptec BIOS enumerate (list) the drives when the system starts?

If so, is there any free space on the drives?  That error can indicate
that the drives have no free space to create partitions on.  The
installer requires either free space or Linux partitions it can
overwrite.  If the drive(s) are full of Windows partitions, the
installer will quit with that error...misleading as it is.

> Steps taken after problem.
> Then we downloaded the driver from Adaptec
> aic7xxx-6.3.9-i586-rhel3.img.gz
> aic7xxx-6.3.9-i686-rhel3qu2.img.gz
>
> We tried to manually add it to the PC with a fd0 as well as hdd but to
> no avail.
> So we change the SCSI to
> Adaptec SCSI card 39160, AHA 3960D Power Domain 39160
> Still having same problem.
> Tried using "linux no probe" but no avail.
>
> Can you kindly advice what we should do especially since we have two
> (2) products and neither is working. I have been at this for a week,
> someone please help.

-                  Heisenberg _may_ have slept here                  -