digital camera

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jul 20 17:13:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 08:37 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 19:27, Rick Stevens wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-07-19 at 18:05 -0500, Fred Grant wrote:
> > > Recently acquired an el cheapo digital camera made by dgx.  When I go to
> > > mass storage mode via usb the hardware browser indicates the presence of
> > > /dev/sda1.
> > >
> > > Do any of you have any pointers for viewing images?  I assume I'll have
> > > to mount /dev/sda1 but I don't know what type of file system it is or
> > > how or where to mount it.  Otherwise this should be a piece of cake!
> >
> > 99% of all cameras use FAT-32 or VFAT filesystems.  Have you tried
> > gphoto (Gnome) or kamera (KDE) to see if they "grok" your camera?
> >
> > If not, you probably want to create a mountpoint for your camera's
> > storage (e.g. "/media/camera") once.  Then, an appropriate mount command
> > would be
> >
> > 	mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/camera
> >
> > Then you'll see the directory structure under /media/camera.  One of
> > the more common would be:
> >
> > 	/media/camera/dcim/olympus/file.jpg
> >
> > That's from an old Olympus 3050Z camera I have.  Usually, there will
> > be a "dcim" directory, and under that some permutation of your camera's
> > maker.  The "*.jpg" files are the actual images.
> >
> Thanks Rick.  I got it to work with /mnt/pics.  How about a script to
> automate the mount command?  I've never written a script before so I
> don't know how or where to save it so I can find it again and use it as
> needed.

Uh, hmmm.  Well, as root, create the file "/usr/bin/mntcam".  In it, put
these lines:

    #!/bin/bash
    if [ $0 = "mntcam" ]; then
	mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/pics
	echo "Camera mounted at /mnt/pics"
    else
	umount /mnt/pics
	echo "It is now safe to unplug the camera"
    fi

Save it.  Then (still as root), enter these two commands:

    # chmod 755 /usr/bin/mntcam
    # ln -s /usr/bin/mntcam /usr/bin/umntcam

You now have two commands "mntcam" to mount it, and "umntcam" to unmount
it.

-                He who laughs last thinks slowest.                  -