"/boot may not meet booting constraints" in RH 9

Salman Siddiqui salmansiddiqui1234 at rediffmail.com
Fri Jul 21 13:11:17 UTC 2006

I tried to install Red Hat Linux 9 on my friends machine and tried all type of ways:
Automatic partition
Manual Partition

Under both conditions while it creates the /boot partition it gives following warning:

"Boot Partition /boot may not meet booting constraints for your architecture. Creation of boot disk is highly encouraged."

what can be the problem?

Below is the configuration of its harddisk(40Gb with 256 Mb RAM) as shown by disk druid:

/dev/hda
   /dev/hda1               ntfs              10004
   /dev/hda2               ntfs              9996
   /dev/hda3               Extended          18154
      /dev/hda5            vfat              15002
      /dev/hda6    /boot   ext3              103
      /dev/hda7    /       ext3              2540
      /dev/hda8            swap              509
   Free                    Free space        7

Below is the boot loader configuration which is shown after the partition is done:

    DOS                /dev/hda1
    Red Hat Linux      /dev/hda7

after the installation is completed & when the computer is restarted it shows the grub prompt:
GRUB>

nothing else....we are not able to access his windows even...

I work on FC4 dual boot on my computer and have done FC4 installation on my system (dual boot) many times
But I didnt see any /boot warnings ever...

how to get past GRUB> prompt and bring his computer back to working state...

I would like to mention one more thing:
When few months back I tried to install FC4 on his computer, it wouldnt install & instead it would restart the window, probably due to non matching hardware configuration.

Thank You

destiny drives the world...
try driving destiny!!!