ipv6, fedora 5, how to get ipv4 NOT 6 up and running

Bob McClure Jr bob at bobcatos.com
Thu Jul 27 22:45:51 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jul 27, 2006 at 06:28:12PM -0400, tyche wrote:
> think the subject header says it all. also, how to get grub
> to pass init 3 when booting the machine would be helpful as
> well.

On a one-time basis, with the grub boot line selected, hit "a" to
append, add " 3" to the end of the boot line, then hit return.

For the long-term, edit /etc/inittab and change the id:5:initdefault:
line to read id:3:initdefault:.

> my experience with fc 5 is bad from the get go. was
> installed 2 days ago, and had to modify the inittab by hand
> with knoppix to do anything with the comp.
>
> reinstalled fc 5, (without x) and now still cant get to the
> internet becuase of selinux.

I've had no experience with selinux.  I disable it.

> redhat is unfortunately getting worse than ms with what it
> allows and disallows.

Knowing it to be the bleeding edge, a proving ground for the
commercial offering, perhaps they put more adventurous stuff in it.
I've not upgraded any of my FC4 boxes to FC5 yet.  I'm not in a hurry,
and I don't have that much time to spare.  Maybe if I read the README
for FC5, I'll get more interest.

> this was written from my laptop with (yuck) 98

Gaaah!  My sympathies.

> tia
>
> tyche

Cheers,
bob at bobcatos.com             http://www.bobcatos.com
Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD. - Psalm 33:12
Righteousness exalts a nation. - Proverbs 14:34