Installing FC5 with hard disk mode crashes with repomd.xml error 256

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 5 17:34:44 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 10:10 +0300, Rizwan Mohamed Dawrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
>             I am trying to install fedora with alternate install
> method (hard drive installation) as
>
> described in the install guide with the iso images. Am able to boot
>
> into a text mode installation and it correctly takes the path of the 5
> iso’s  and
>
> all the screens for network and grub etc. are fine until I think when
> it tries to read
>
> package info and it crashes with the follo error –
>

> --------------------
>
> Unable to read package metadata
>

> Cannot open/read rcpomd.xml file for repository.
>
> Failure : repodata/repomd.xml from anaconda: [Errno 256]
>
> ------

The ISO images must be named EXACTLY as they are on the download site
(including capitalization) and you must make certain they are readable
by everyone.

If you're installing FC5 for a 32-bit Intel machine, the ISOs MUST be
named:

	FC-5-i386-disc1.iso
	FC-5-i386-disc2.iso
	FC-5-i386-disc3.iso
	FC-5-i386-disc4.iso
	FC-5-i386-disc5.iso

Or, using the DVD ISO image:

	FC-5-i386-DVD.iso

-                   To err is human, to moo bovine.                  -