aic7xxx probe/driver install hangs installing RH enterprise 4

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jun 5 21:10:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-05 at 10:39 -0700, Todd Carter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've got an Adaptec AIC7899 SCSI interface on an IBM intellistation (MP)
> that's giving me fits.
>
> I've searched for a solution and tried:
> linux noprobe then selecting the aic7xxx driver during the install phase
> (still hangs)
> linux apic (no luck)
>
> I've tried Scientific Linux 4.3 (Redhat AS 4 variant), RH Ent 4 WS which
> don't work.
> However the venerable Fedora Core 4 works!
>
> Are there any parameters I can pass to the driver install that may get
> me passed this?

You could try "aic7xxx=no_probe".  Also check the termination on the
bus.  Most probe hangs are caused by termination issues.  Remember, only
the drive at the end of the cable should be terminated--the rest should
not be.

If you can boot up FC4, have a look at the /boot/grub/grub.conf file
and see what parameters are passed to its kernel, then try those on
the install command line.

-      A day for firm decisions!!!   Well, then again, maybe not!    -