memory limits to es3, u4, redux

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Mon Jun 12 18:48:15 UTC 2006

> Subject: Re: memory limits to es3, u4
> From: Bob McClure Jr <bob at bobcatos.com>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 15:26:10 -0500
> To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>
>
> On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 01:07:18PM -0700, Ron McKeever wrote:
>
>>This might help:
>

> Here is the URL pasted back together.  (#$%&#$ MS Lookout)
>

>>http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/ch-kernel.html

I'll try this, but I've got a couple of questions.  I haven't upgraded a
kernel manually for awhile.

1.  shouldn't the existing kernel see at least 4gb of the 8gb?  I'm only
getting 3gb.

2.  should I try to look for a "bigmem" version that matches the version
# of my existing kernel?  I'm not finding "bigmem" with the right
version, but I do find "hugemem" (which you or someone suggested).  will
"hugemem" support less than 16gb?

> Also an upgrade to RHES v4 would be a good idea.  You get the 2.6.xx
> kernel.  I'm administering a couple of 2x2 Opteron boxes and it sees
> all four CPUs.

it actually came with es4, but our application vendor doesn't support it
yet...  pity.

adv(thanks)ance

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

     "If the human body did patch management the way
      (companies do), we'd all be dead."

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence