Kickstart NFS installations

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Jun 13 22:33:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 14:18 -0700, Jason Nemecek wrote:
> On 6/13/06, Lonnie Baldwin wrote:
>
> > The problem might be the result of you copying all 5 cd's to your
> network
> > share.  The RedHat CD1 and CD5 contain a folder called redhat/base
> which
> > do not contain the same files, specifically base\Comps.xml.
> >
> > I noticed that even after doing an http install that the process would
> > still fail.  looking at http logs and comparing the last file accessed
> > (comps.xml) to the file on cd1 showed that they were different.  After
> > copying the files from cd1 to the base directory i was successful in
> > installing RedHat.
> >
> > I asked support to update their knowledge base but obviously that
> hasn't
> > done.  thanks
>
> I just checked and the comps.xml file was different than the one from
> CD1
> So I copied the CD1/comps.xml file into the base directory, but I still
> get the same message.
>
> That got me thinking, and I saw that the hdlist, hdlist2, and TRANS.TBL
> files were also different than the copies on CD1, so I copied them over
> to my install directory as well.
>
> It seemed to do the trick as it's now installing over the network. Now
> Throw together a better ks.cfg file.
>
> I guess the thing to do is copy CD1/RedHat over last when you're setting
> Up the server.

I never thought of that--the differences between the CDs.  Makes sense.
Last time I did a network install, I used the ISO images (it supports
that, too, BTW).

As far as a clone tool other than Ghost, sure, there's a couple of free
ones.  Try "ghost4linux" (http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l).

-   I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere, but   -
-                       probably not recoverable.                    -