kickstart config file syntax for RAID

Jason Nemecek jnemecek at sandisk.com
Wed Jun 14 22:40:47 UTC 2006

Hi list,

I'm trying to install via Kickstart over NFS. I have the basic install
working somewhat, but I want to set up a few RAID1 partitions on my
system
during the install. I created a ks.cfg file with the Kickstart
Configurator.

The Kickstart install starts fine but when I get to the disk
partitioning
phase of the install I get a dialog box that says:

Error Partitioning

Could not allocate requested partitions:

Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partitions.

Press 'OK' to reboot your system

Bravo again to RHEL4 with their brilliant descriptive error messages.

My first question is on the syntax of the Kickstart RAID partitioning.

Can anyone see any syntax errors with the following section of my
ks.cfg:

part /boot --fstype ext2 --size=128 --ondisk=sda
part /dead --fstype ext2 --size=128 --ondisk=sdb
part swap --size=2048 --ondisk=sda
part swap --size=2048 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.01 --size=10240 --ondisk=sda
part raid.02 --size=10240 --ondisk=sdb
part raid.03 --size=275000 --ondisk=sda
part raid.04 --size=275000 --ondisk=sdb
raid / --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 --device=md0 raid.01 raid.02
raid /home --fstype ext3 --level=RAID1 --device=md1 raid.03 raid.04

I'm mainly wondering about the "--" options and the placement of the "="
signs between the options and values. Ie: should it be --ondisk=sda or
--ondisk sda ?? Same question with --size and --level. I've been trying
to find other ks.cfg files via Google for examples, but there's not much
out there, especially anything recent. I've seen examples with and
without
the "=" sign.

Before rebooting the last time this happened, I killed the X server and
Looked at the console to see the following message repeated about 15
times:

<4>program anaconda is using a deprecated SCSI ioctl, please convert it
to SG_IO

Does anyone know if this is a serious error, or if it's just a warning
For the future?

I'm using RHEL4 WS on Dell Precision 470s

I see that there are updated RPMs for anaconda, anaconda-runtime, and
system-config-kickstart.

Can these RPMs be installed in a way that will make a difference during
the install?

Ideas? Obvious errors?

Thanks,
*Jason